Raheela Ahmed, Esq.
Raheela Ahmed has dedicated her legal career to public defense work.
From 2004 to 2009, she was an Assistant Public Defender, with the Law of Office of Julianne M. Holt, Public Defender for the Thirteenth Judicial Circuit in and for Hillsborough County, Florida. As trial litigator, she represented indigent clients in Misdemeanor, Juvenile, and Felony divisions. She conducted numerous jury trials, non-jury trials, adjudicatory hearings, violation of probation hearings, motion hearings, and sentencing hearings. She has tried at least 26 jury trials during her tenure. She earned the recognition of Litigator of the Year for the Misdemeanor and Juvenile Bureau in 2005.
From 2009 to 2018, she was an Assistant Capital Collateral Regional Counsel at the Law Office of the Capital Collateral Regional Counsel for the Middle Region of Florida. She represented death-sentenced clients in their state and federal post-conviction proceedings. In this role, she conducted numerous evidentiary hearings in Florida state courts, six oral arguments before the Supreme Court of Florida, and two oral arguments before the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit. She also initiated and litigated Section 2254 habeas proceedings before the United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida.
In 2018, Attorney Ahmed joined the Office of the Federal Defender for the Middle District of Florida in Tampa as an Assistant Federal Defender with the Capital Habeas Unit, defending death-sentenced clients in their federal proceedings.
She is a former chair and attorney member of the Thirteenth Circuit Unlicensed Practice of Law Committee for the Florida Bar, and the Second District Florida Registered Paralegal Committee for the Florida Bar.
- Juris Doctor, New England School of Law
- Bachelor of Arts, University of Toronto
- Massachusetts Bar
- Florida Bar
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States
- Post-conviction state collateral counsel for the Atkins evidentiary hearing and Supreme Court of Florida appeal for Freddie Lee Hall v. State, 109 So. 3d 704 (Fla. 2010) rev'd and remanded, 134 S. Ct. 1986 (2014);
- State collateral counsel for Robert Shannon Walker, II v. State, 88 So. 3d 128 (Fla. 2007) (affirmed life sentence)
- State collateral counsel Richard Robards v. State, 214 So. 3d 568 (Fla. 2017) (reversed for a new penalty phase pursuant to Hurst v. State; Court's concurrence addressed ineffective assistance of counsel).